The History of Tallington
The best source until the website is complete is the
Tallington 2000 book available at the church - £5
Here are a few little bits of Tallington's History!
One of the most important features after the Civil Wars of the mid 1600's was the building of the Stamford Canal in 1670 which ran through Tallington - almost exactly 100 years before the Industrial Revolution that brought canals to the Midlands and beyond. The Stamford Canal went from a lock at Hudds Mill in Stamford then got its water from The Gwash before going through Uffington Park around the back of Copthill and then to Tallington before going via West Deeping to Market Deeping where it re-joined the River Welland. A total of 12 locks were constructed, one of which has been partly excavated in Heron's Close. Neglected by almost all historians, this canal was a true forerunner of modern canals in England. A new book, "The Stamford Canal", has been published by The Deepings Heritage Society and is available from the secretary, Keith Simpson on (01778) 344553, Stamford Museum or good local book shops.
Tallington, a village in the County of Lincolnshire, England.
(A slightly updated version of a description by Nicola Mackenzie - found on the Internet)
"Lincolnshire is the fourth largest county in England and Wales with an area of 2280 square miles. Its population of 616,000 is widely dispersed outside the few urban centres across small settlements many focused around small market towns.
Tallington is such a settlement with its history dating back to Neolithic times. The earliest form of the name may have been 'Taelingas', with the name 'Talintone' first appearing in 1086, a Saxon word indicating that Tala's people settled here.
The population of Tallington has been remarkably consistent at around 270 for the past hundred years or more. Whites Lincolnshire 1856 describes Tallington as "a pleasant village, on the Market Deeping road, and the north bank of the Welland, 4 miles E, by N, of Stamford, has a station on the Great North Railway. Its parish consists of 267 souls". However, a new housing development recently completed has added 51 houses and this has increased the population to around 400 people or should we say souls.
The village is either side of the main A16 trunk road, (now the A1175), and the main London to Edinburgh railway line continues to pass by the east side of the village. We can claim one of the busiest railway crossings in the country, a dubious distinction, causing considerable delays to road traffic. At peak times over 700 vehicles an hour pass through the village.
We have a church, a village shop and post office, a village hall and playing field, a pub, a garage, rest home for the elderly, a water leisure park, and a busy concrete factory. The biggest event in Tallington was the Annual Steam Festival. Its last years attendance the eighth year exceeded 16,000 people and there were all sorts of steam engines, vintage and veteran cars, motor-cycles, military vehicles, old buses, tractors -just about every form of road and off road transport imaginable. (Unfortunately, this event has now ended)
Tallington's history has been much influenced by the railways, particularly in the days of steam. Today the village is still much affected by rail movements. Although trains no longer stop at Tallington, and the old signal box has gone, motorists are well aware they are in a level crossing village.
At the centre of the village is the village shop and post office. Like most village shops you can buy almost anything there groceries, bread, milk, fruit and vegetables, paraffin, birthday cards, magazines, confectionery, soft drinks. The post office is open five mornings a week and a regular meeting place for the village residents, and the information centre for village news and gossip. If you want to know what is going on a visit to the village shop/post office is essential. (The post office is no longer!)
The village pub is the Whistle Stop, previously known as the Kesteven Arms, providing a meeting place for villagers and a pleasant stopping place on the main A16 (A1175). The name derives from the pubs connection with the railways, adjacent to the level crossing of the busy main line Kings Cross to Edinburgh.
Tallington Rest home occupies the Old Rectory. This fine late Regency building provides rest home facilities for the elderly. Social activities at the Rest Home such as barbecues, concerts etc, attract many villagers, in addition to relatives and friends of the residents.
Tallington Lakes is a premier water sports venue with enthusiasts traveling from far and wide to enjoy the many facilities.
The original St Lawrence's Church dates back as far as 1035 and has many interesting and historical features."